Monday, October 24, 2016

Simplify

I'm in the throes of moving this week! My piano mover arrives tomorrow and we'll move the bulk of our furniture on Wednesday. All this as I'm organizing the house for an estate sale on Saturday! As I am pack - deciding what to keep and what to leave behind - I keep repeating my mantra, "Who am I now?" 

"Who am I now?" helps me focus on the present moment. Why keep things that support an 'idea' of who I WAS, when I can surround myself with things that support who I am NOW? I don't need to lift up my old aspirations, when I have such joyful work to do now. 

I also continually ask myself Marie Kondo's question about tidying and decluttering: "What sparks joy?". If you don't know Marie Kondo, check out her book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It has been extremely helpful as I walk through this process of divestment. 

This kind of intentional shedding is heady stuff and often overwhelmingly emotional. It's amazing what I've held onto - much of it based on "shoulds" and "musts" and even guilt. But every time I let something go, I feel lighter an lighter and lighter. Simplifying my life is looking better and better every day. 



No comments: