Thursday, January 07, 2016

Delicious Dark Interiors

I'm a Cancerian. This is an astrological sign ruled by the moon, whose symbol is the crab. We're talking about a nocturnal, inky-depths, sea creature, here. And there is nothing I love more than a small, dark, cozy space to which I can retreat when the mood strikes. Sure, I have my extroverted moments as well, but sometimes I just need my own little cave.

Remember my former art studio? I painted the walls black. This was a very controversial thing to do, since it was an art studio. Art studios are traditionally bright, well-lit spaces. I've since moved my studio into a different room. But honestly, I'm missing my black walls and the cocoon-y feeling they evoked.

I've been looking again at the dark and broody interiors designed by Abigail Ahern. Her work is unapologetically dark in hue. Sometimes she goes all the way, painting the trim, the walls, the ceilings and anything that will stand still in dark shades of indigo, midnight, mulberry and coal. I'm a fan, to say the least. I think I might need to pull an Amy Winehouse and go 'back to black' in my studio. Check out the inspiring gallery of photos below.

















4 comments:

Connie said...

Oh yeah. Go for it. Wish I was there to help you paint.

emmanuelle said...

I couldn't agree more! And I love that word : "broody", which I didn't know (sorry I'm french...). This is exactly what I often explain to my own customers (... and i'm a decorator myself). Dark colors may terrify people but they really give that extraordinary feeling of healing, warmness, peace... Isn't it the definition of a cocoon? I have my own all-black corner at home (including the ceiling) and i think i would never get tired of it (whereas i would with white but this is personnal i guess). And guess what? I'm Pisces, another sea creature...
Thanks for these great pictures

rebecca said...

I've been a fan of A.A for quite awhile. (Still adjusting to the change in her blog format, but totally in tune with her taste in decorating philosophy, accessories, etc.)

Bohemian said...

My Old Art Studio Cottage had Black and Blood Red Walls... we recently moved and I miss my Dark Creative Space... can't wait to replicate the Atmosphere in the New Studio Loft Space, at least one room of it anyway... Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian